Anaheim Groves Improvement District- About Us
Logo-Home   Home   FAQs   Blog   Forum   About_Us   Contact_Us   


   

Parts & Accessories

Includes Main Street Vehicles

 
 

Home > Main Street Omnibus > Modeled Main Street Omnibus

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
omni_1000.JPG
IMG_5656_19_1.JPG
IMG_5655_18_1.JPG
IMG_5654_17_1.JPG
IMG_5624_7_1.JPG
IMG_5623_6_1.JPG
With the addition of a cast member conductor we're loaded and ready to roll on up to the Central Plaza. All I need to do now is install 'guests' on the right side lower deck, add the destination sign on the front of the upper deck, and stripe the canopy (yikes!).
IMG_5620_3_1.JPG
IMG_5619_2_1.JPG
"Yes, you can sit up front. Climb on up here." Note the brass grab rail made from .008" brass wire. The battery has now been 'blacked-out' with some flat black paint and, with the figures added, its intrusion into the cockpit area isn't really noticeable anymore.
IMG_5618_1_1.JPG
The steering wheel has now been installed along with the headlights. If you look closely in the cockpit views you can also spy the shift and hand-brake levers! The headlights are made from .080" styrene rod with rings of .010" X .018" brass bar. They were attached to the chassis with .012" brass wire "L" support brackets. Each headlight assembly contains four separate parts. Also, a brass radiator cap has been added from .012" brass wire.
IMG_5617_4_1.JPG
Here's a shot of the steering wheel I fabricated from .010" brass wire (for the rim) and .010" ABS for the spokes. This is the second wheel I had to make as I lost the first one into our carpet! Oh well.
IMG_5616_3_1.JPG
IMG_5614_1_1.JPG
Additional painting has been completed and a driver takes his place. The graphics were made from reducing a post card on a copy machine to the correct size and then cutting them out. This was also done to add the guests in the windows to the lower level. This is a simple but effective 'trick.' The wheels were painted a light ivory and Italian red.
IMG_5613_8_1.JPG
IMG_5612_7_1.JPG
It's starting to look like something at this point.
IMG_5611_6_1.JPG
The removeable canopy was made from .010" styrene sheet.
IMG_5610_5_1.JPG
IMG_5609_4_1.JPG
N-scale 'guests' have taken their place aboard the upper deck. N-scale photo-etched stainless steel mesh has been installed to keep the kids from falling off.
IMG_5608_3_1.JPG
IMG_5607_2_1.JPG
The passenger seat is installed. Note that it has had to be trimmed to clear the battery.
IMG_5606_1_1.JPG
The front axle assembly has been re-installed, the hood, radiator, firewall and driver's seat fabricated from styrene. The front fenders were made from .010" ABS plastic and supported over the wheels by brass rod. Steps from ABS sheet attached to the chassis also support the fenders behind the wheels. A brass rod here locates the position of the future steering column.
IMG_5604_1_2.JPG
IMG_5604_1_1.JPG
Painting underway. I mixed the color from Testors Hobby Enamels using French Blue, #1124 Gloss Green, and Gloss Black. The model was sprayed with an airbrush.
IMG_5603_9_1.JPG
IMG_5602_8_1.JPG
IMG_5600_6_1.JPG
IMG_5599_5_1.JPG
IMG_5597_3_1.JPG
IMG_5596_2_1.JPG
IMG_5595_1_1.JPG
Here the front axle assembly has been removed and the bench seats masked for painting.
IMG_5594_4_1_1.JPG
IMG_5593_3_1_1.JPG
An N-scale worker has been added here to show the relative size of the vehicle.
IMG_5592_2_1_1.JPG
IMG_5591_1_1_1.JPG
The bench seats have been made from Evergreen brand scribed styrene N-scale passenger car siding and installed. The canopy roof supports are being installed. These are made from .010" X .018" brass bar. The staircase is made from styrene strips with .010" ABS plastic wraps. The white area along the roof of the first level is .010" styrene pieces to 'flush-out' this area with the brass canopy supports and also forms the top of the lower level's windows.
IMG_5578_9_1.JPG
Here the 'box' that conceals the electrics and forms the first level of the Omnibus has been placed on the chassis. This box was made from .020" ABS sheet plastic and is removeable. Note that a clearance hole had to be opened-up to clear the battery. This is okay as the battery will be hidden by the upper level's bench seats.
IMG_5577_8_1.JPG
The lower rocker-panel area was made from Bass wood and shaped to form the nice curvature of the body-work. I then created the wheel-wells before attaching the panels to the chassis by sanding the area away with my Dremel tool. Fenders were fabricated from .010" ABS sheet.
IMG_5576_7_1.JPG
We are installing a working motorized Omnibus on our platform. To do this, we have purchased a Faller Car System N-scale starter set that comes with a Mercedes truck. To build our Omnibus, I first had to remove the Mercedes truck body-work from the chassis. I decided it would be fun to model the original Disneyland Omnibus from 1956 (see "Disneyland's Omnibus" file). I removed about 1/16" from the wheelbase to shorten it up a bit. The chassis was then epoxied back together. The large green object here is the battery
36 files on 1 page(s)

 
   
   

Choose your language: