Logo-Home   Home   FAQs   Blog   Forum   About_Us   Contact_Us   

Go Back   agidistrict Disneyland Model Forum > agidistrict.com Questions & Comments

Old 11-14-2007, 02:02 PM

Default Z Scale Track

Hello,

I too am planning on using Z scale track on my Main Street display. I was planning on using Marklin flex track so as to be able to use the original radius that is allready on the board.

Is there a reason that you decided not to use flexible track?

Best Regards,

John Ireland
Old 11-15-2007, 01:20 PM

Hi John,

Yes. In order to leave room for clearance around our Tour Guide courtyard (to the left of the station)we chose to use the smaller radius (Marklin #8510) curve sections. (This may or may not be a concern for your platform) Using flex track pieces to create this smaller radius in flex track would've been difficult, if at all possible. Also, using the sharper turns allowed us to straighten out the edge of the Main Street depot's platform. We used the larger radius curves (Marklin #8531) for the corners at the Fantasyland end. We did use the long flex track pieces to link all the corners together. Finally, because our track configuration is temporary, it was easier to use the standard curves. Eventually the track will circle our model of the entire park.

Jason
Old 11-15-2007, 07:11 PM

Default Z Scale Track

Hi Jason,

I really admire your modelng abilities. I generally work in HO scale (Marklin) and I'm fairly comfortable working with flex track so I will probably start with that. At this point, I'm planning on keeping the structures stock and altering the base if necessary.

I can't wait to see how you folks enlarge the Main Street Platform to enable you to display the entire park! If you don't mind my asking, where did you obtain the scale site plan of the entire park? I'm an architect and drawings of that kind fascinate me.

I'm going to attempt to attach some views of the overall model that was created for the 50th anniversary. I'm not sure where it was displayed, but I surely would like to see it in the real.

Regards,
John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Overall View.jpg (80.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Fantasy Land 01.jpg (90.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Rivers of America.jpg (59.3 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by John Ireland; 11-15-2007 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ireland View Post
Hi Jason,

I really admire your modelng abilities. I generally work in HO scale (Marklin) and I'm fairly comfortable working with flex track so I will probably start with that. At this point, I'm planning on keeping the structures stock and altering the base if necessary.

I can't wait to see how you folks enlarge the Main Street Platform to enable you to display the entire park! If you don't mind my asking, where did you obtain the scale site plan of the entire park? I'm an architect and drawings of that kind fascinate me.

I'm going to attempt to attach some views of the overall model that was created for the 50th anniversary. I'm not sure where it was displayed, but I surely would like to see it in the real.

Regards,
John
Hi John,
Thank-you for the compliment! If you are going to keep the platform in the standard configuration then it won't be neccessary to use the sharper z gauge curves on either side of the station. The flex track should, therefore, present no problems for you. Do you plan on building your own locomotives and rolling stock?

I obtained my plot plans (I have two plans from different years) from a friend I met while living in Los Angeles who had worked at the Park for 15 years or so. This guy had an amazing amount of stuff from the Park. The plot drawing I enlarged is scaled 3/4" = 50' and it was a bit tricky (and pricey) to have it scaled to Olszewski's Platform. It took several passes through the copier and the rolls are about 14' across. It would cover an entire wall if we put all the rolls up at once. We plan on constructing our model of the Park in modules.

The Disneyland model you have photos of was displayed in the Opera House where the model of the White House was. On our last trip to the Park back in September the model was still on display. It will most likely be removed very soon (if not already) to return the show back to "The Walt Disney Story Featuring Great Moments With Mr. LIncoln" from the 50th Anniversary show that has been playing since July of 2005.

I worked as an Architectural Modeler for awhile so I have a great appreciation of your line of work.

Feel free to ask me any details you like.

Sincerely,

Jason
Old 12-23-2009, 07:51 PM

Default How's Z-scale reliability?

Those using z-scale train and track, how is it going? I'm looking into using z-scale with my platform and I was wondering if you guys had any advice. I've seen a two train operation using N-scale and I would like to set the z-scale trains up with the same system. Any problems using such a small train? I imagine they're more prone to problems due to their size.
I've got a g-scale train and I am having to clean the track after about 3 hours of use. How often are you cleaning your z-scale track on the platform?

Thanks! -Jim
Old 12-24-2009, 01:59 PM

Hi Jim,

What I learned after many trials (oh man!) is to not paint the rail heads on the insides! This is very important to the reliable running of Z-scale locomotives. Once I discovered this the locomotives ran as they should. Track cleaning and maintenace isn't any more than other gauges. The smaller locomotives do require some good eyes and a delicate touch to service them but you shouldn't have to disassemble them just for cleaning and lubrication. The more appropriate size of the Z trains was worth the trouble of figuring out how to get them to run well. You may not even decide to paint the track but if you do ballast it use the same precautions around the rail heads and you won't have any problems.
I'm not sure what you mean about setting Z-scale trains up using the "same system" as the N trains: Z trains do require power supplies of lower voltage (no more than 10V) than N.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:50 PM

Thanks Jason!!

What I meant by "Same system" had to do with running two trains on the same track. The N-scale fan set it up so the first train waits at the Main Station until the 2nd train reaches a certain point (I think it was a point near the Lincoln theatre just before the last turn into the Main Street Station). I think it was a "Magnet-type" system, but I am not sure. I just want to be able to run two trains on the track and have one wait at the Main Street Station for a small period of time.

You can see the N-scale two train operation here:

http://home.comcast.net/~olszewskifa...e3433960a99b71

Thanks again!

-Jim
www.AnaheimBasementPub.com
Old 12-24-2009, 05:55 PM

BTW, Anyone have video of your z-scale train running? I've seen plenty of N-scale trains on the Disney platform, but they look out of scale (Of course!). So it would be cool to see a z-scale train in motion running around the platform.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:21 PM

Hi Jim,

The same "system" can be used to operate Z scale trains as long as the track voltage is appropriate/correct (no more than 10 volts). On our model I have installed the old siding and pair of turn-outs in front of the Main Street station because I want to be able to operate the railroad as when the Park first opened: the freight train would leap-frog the passenger train at Main Street and the opposite would take place at Frontierland. So, yes, I will install the same trackage at Frontierland/New Orleans Square.
I'm also building full DCC (Digital Command Control) with sound "locomotives" that will allow our trains to operate as a real railroad with multiple trains able to run simultaneously on the same track with complete individual control. In order to run a 'standard' DC model railroad you have to divide the layout into separate 'blocks' (electronically) to have individual control over more than one train.
No video exists of our Z-scale trains operating because the railroad line will not be completed until all the layout modules (Frontierland, Fantasyland, etc.) are built and set-up. We could shoot some video after the next module is built (probably the Frontierland area) but currently we have just the short stretch of track laid on the Main Street portion.

Jason